Thursday, 30 January 2014

Abuse at Medomsley Detention Centre

The short sharp shock treatment

We have to ask why these investigations were never conducted in an appropriate manner to begin with, and it is only after certain key witnesses are dead that they are re-opened.
Police reopened a 10-year-old investigation into abuse at a former County Durham detention centre last year when a former inmate said he was also abused. Since then the force said it has been contacted by more than 100 alleged victims.
It is insulting to the public that the authorities, including the police,  should expect that they get away with such weak explanations. Many alleged victims who came forward were ignored.
Following the original investigation, Neville Husband, who worked at the detention centre as a prison officer, was jailed for 12 years in 2003, and Leslie Johnson, a store man, was sentenced to six years in 2005.
Since the investigation was reopened in August, Durham Police has received statements from 143 alleged victims of abuse.
Many of those sent to Medomsley were first-time offenders often detained for relatively minor offences...
In 2003, Newcastle Crown Court heard Husband used his position of authority at the centre to systematically abuse his victims from 1974 to 1984. He was jailed after being found guilty of 10 counts of indecent assault and one of a serious sexual offence after police said almost two dozen victims came forward.

Here is an alternative source but be warned that it is a very harrowing account from Bill Malloney.

Youtube video - Bill Malloney

No comments:

Post a Comment