bowling

bowling

Tuesday 26 January 2016

Sustainable development is a moral issue

From `Steven Rockefeller: "The Earth Charter at 15: A Spiritual Lens on Sustainability," interview by Allen White, Great Transition Initiative (December 2015)`

"My family also had a strong interest in foreign affairs and a long tradition of thinking internationally in business and philanthropy. My father, who served in government positions under four presidents and as governor of New York, had a passionate interest in international affairs. He and my grandfather played an active part in helping to establish the United Nations in New York City, and my family has been a supporter of the UN ever since. In short, I was raised to think broadly and to view the world’s big social, economic, and political problems as moral challenges. What I observed in my family was that a sense of moral purpose and responsibility is a powerful motivating force, and shared moral values bind people together and promote partnership and cooperation. Without a common purpose, people and society lack clear, strong direction and cohesion. Developing and internalizing a sound moral compass is fundamental to a healthy spiritual life. A sense of the sacred can deepen moral conviction..."

"At Columbia University, I wrote my doctoral dissertation on John Dewey, the American philosopher and intellectual leader of the Progressive movement. I was drawn to Dewey’s democratic humanism and his ideal of `a common faith` in the form of shared moral values and principles that unite and guide society."

- See more at: http://www.greattransition.org/publication/the-earth-charter-at-15#sthash.It8KwUD8.dpuf

Part of the Rockefellers` strong moral compass includes an obsession with population control.

No comments:

Post a Comment